Multiple Teams · Heritage ties Wayne

The Heritage boys soccer team was on the road again for their third game in five days. They took on Wayne at Wayne on Saturday playing an absolute thriller that literally came down to the final second. Heritage started out of the gate slow, allowing a goal in the opening minute. The goal woke Heritage up as they slowly started controlling the ball and getting multiple chances before junior, Lucas Scheumann, squeezed in a near post goal to tie the score at one to one. After scoring the goal, Heritage kept on the attack and struggled to find the net. The Heritage attack kept coming at the Wayne defense and broke through on a Sam Lovejoy throw-in that landed in the center of the box. Junior, Kamdyn Klingensmith chipped the ball over the goalie to give Heritage another goal to make it a 2-1 ball game. As time was winding down in the first half, Wayne struck back to tie it up. In a quick flurry of events the Patriots got fouled and had a free kick.
Lucas Scheumann placed the ball just beyond the eighteen, took a few steps back and fired toward the goalie. The goalie made a great save but junior, Hil Sun, was there for the rebound and got the awkward shot to find the back of the net. The Patriots were winning a good game at half 3-2.
As the second half began, the Generals seemed eager to tie up the game getting a few quick chances, to no avail. Toward the 20 minute mark in the second half, the Generals mounted a comeback goal to make the score 3-3. As was the case in the first half, though, the Patriots had opportunity after opportunity to score but could not capitalize. As the game was winding down the Generals mounted one last attack with less then ten seconds remaining. Wayne fired a shot on goalie Taylen Melcher who came up huge with a game saving save. The ball was juggled and cleared as time expired. The Patriots ended the week with one win, one tie, and one loss. They continue their season at home on Tuesday vs Lakewood Park Christian school.